Monday, July 13, 2009

Natalie Portman is Jane Foster

It's been rumored for a while, but now it's official: Natalie Portman has been cast as Jane Foster in Thor.

Two immediate thoughts:

1) She's perfect for the role. My 'mind's eye' summary of Jane Foster is: graceful, intelligent, energetic, beautiful, thoughtful and classy. In other words - Natalie Portman.
2) This says a lot about the growing clout of Marvel Studios. Robert Downey Jr., Ed Norton, Mickey Rourke, Samuel Jackson, Sam Rockwell, Scarlett Johansson, and now Natalie Portman. Big, big names for what is essentially a new independent film company.

What are your thoughts? Yay, or nay? Leave a comment.

--
MORE: NATALIE PORTMAN ON IMDB
MORE: JANE FOSTER ON WIKIPEDIA
MMB: THOR

7 comments:

  1. I'm all for it. She's spot-on. I'm not sure who, if anyone, would be better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's a great actress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i definitly think it says a lot that so many big names want to be part of comic book movies - lets just hope they continue to attract people who car write good stories!!! because who cares who is in the movie - as long as the script is good...even though ben afflect isnt so great - wouldnt you have thought that a ben afflect-jennifer gardner-colin farrell-michael clark duncan movie would be promising? and then without a plot - you got daredevil...what a waste! lets hope they re-boot that one!

    so overall - this is a good sign but still need a good script - how dry was portman in star wars? pretty bad right?

    hey - what movie is Scarlett Johansson going to be in? i missed this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalie Portman does seem to fit the part you describe (I really don't know much about the character Jane Foster) but I would like to see some new unknown faces in comic book movies. Sometimes the big-time celebrities end up ruining the film for me because I can't see them in the new role - I just see the characters they've played in other films. A new face makes it more interesting and more exciting for me to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave - now that you mention it, with that cast, Daredevil should have been awesome! Good point about story above all else. And as for Scarlett Johansson, she's one of the stars of Iron Man 2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous
    I hear you about the casting an 'unknown' thing. There may be some thinking 'Queen Amidala' when they should be thinking 'Jane Foster'. Star power does carry that danger with it. I think Portman is good enough to overcome any typecasting though. Same with Rourke and most of the others. Samuel Jackson on the other hand, as much as I love him, screams "SAMUEL JACKSON!" to me every time I see him on the screen. Mace Windu, Nick Fury, whatever - all I see when he comes on the screen is the celebrity - not the character.

    ReplyDelete